Showcasing the work of artists who live and/or work in the area.
March 2017 Artist of the Month:
Multi-disciplinary writer / performer / artist / academic
George is a multi-disciplinary writer / performer / artist / academic who lives in Petersham and is part of Kimbo Studios in Leichhardt. He was National winner of Denton fellowship for excellence / courage in performance writing for his satirical theatre production called “I Want to Be Slim” (production 2017/8). He holds a Doctorate in Creative Arts from the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), that explores persuasive performance in the selling of truth using Christian fundamentalist evangelists as case studies. His performance work includes comedy and his memoir show, “Am I Who I Say I Am?” performing in April.
As President of the Petersham Bowling Club, in 2006, he led a team from the local community that turned around the failing by removing pokies, promoting music, arts and community creating a successful model for small club revitalisation.
George Catsi will be exhibiting a selection of his collection of signs at Leichhardt Library taken from closed shops locally and beyond.
Displayed as if art, each sign holds a story of aspiration and ultimately closure. George selects his signs based on an array of personal criteria - did the shop have personal or local significance or notoriety, use of outdated typography, old perspex style signs with perspex lettering, representing a passing such as the end of ethnic based shops in Leichhardt and Dulwich Hill or just a gut feeling.
- Sign Language: Abandoned shop signs and the stories they tell (@Leichhardt Library during March – opening 2 March at 6-8pm).
- As part of the Greek Festival, George’s comedic memoir solo show Am I
Who I Say I Am? has a return season at the Petersham Bowling Club.
Thurs 6, Friday 7 and Saturday 8 April, 8pm
Bookings at Eventbrite link here
- Two grants from the Inner West Council (collaborating with Anne Kwasner are:
1. Marriage E-quality - a performance and installation work exploring questions of what is marriage and who decides who can have it
2. I Come with Baggage - installation and soundscape exploring dislocation and diaspora
Want to be a 2017 Artist of the Month?
If you are interested in being an Artist of the Month, please complete the Artist of the Month Application Form (PDF 132.5KB) and return to email@example.com