Top Navigation

Step 5 - Lodging Your DA

You may lodge your development application (DA) in person or by sending it to us by mail, document exchange or courier. However, we prefer that you lodge your DA in person as issues can often be quickly resolved which will enable us to accept your application.  

Council's Duty Planner is available:

  • General Enquiries Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
  • Lodgement of Development Applications Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm

5A. DA Policy

Inner West Council has adopted a Development Advisory and Assessment Policy which outlines the policies, procedures and services associated with Development Assessment.  This policy should be read prior to lodging a development application. 
 pdf-new-icon.gif Development Advisory and Assessment Policy

5B. Submission Requirements

Your DA submission must include:

1. Development Application Form

pdf-new-icon.gif Development Application Form (OTHER 759.9KB)

The Development Application (DA) form must be completed clearly and accurately.  DA forms can also be collected from our Customer Service centre or we can mail it to you on request.

2. Consent of all land owners

All owners of the property or properties or persons with the power to sign on behalf of like owners to whom the DA relates must sign the DA form. If the owner is a company or owner’s association, the form must be signed in accordance with section 127 of the Corporations Act 2001. If the building is a strata building, the DA must be stamped with the strata seal and signed by an authorised authority.

3. DA checklist

pdf-new-icon.gifDA Lodgement Checklist (PDF 160.6KB)
pdf-new-icon.gif Specifications for DA Documentation (PDF 211KB)

The checklist is a full list of DA requirements.

You must complete the checklist prior to lodging your DA. When lodging your DA, our staff will confirm that you have provided all the required plans and documentation. A more detailed check of the plans and supporting documentation will be undertaken by professional staff within two weeks of lodgement. The checklist will be checked by our staff when you lodge our DA.

If you do not provide the required information, we will not accept your application. Our staff will clearly identify to you what the additional requirements are so that your DA will be accepted on your next visit.

4. Relevant documentation

When lodging your application, you must provide us with: 

  • 4 copies of all architectural plans
  • 4 x A4 size copies of the architectural plans for notification to owners of adjoining properties
  • 4 copies of all other plans
  • 4 copies of all supporting documentation
  • An electronic copy of all documents including all plans lodged as individual files on a CD or DVD. 

Except for the A4 notification plans, the information provided must be divided into four identical sets of documentation. All plans must be folded to A4 size.

Note 1: If colouring of plans is required, for example where the development is for alterations and additions, all copies of the plans must be coloured.
Note 2: If the development is integrated development, an additional two copies of all plans and supporting documentation must be submitted to us and we will forward these to the relevant authority.
Note 3: If the capital investment value of the development is $20 million or more then the application will be determined by the Sydney East Joint Regional Planning Panel and two additional sets of plans and documentation must be submitted together with an electronic copy of all documents and plans submitted.

5. DA Fees

Fees are determined based upon the true market value of the development.

In the case of construction or building work, the development application fee is based on the estimated cost of development and is based on the cost incurred if a contractor carried out the works (this is not the cost of an owner-builder carrying out the works).

  • $0 - $150,000 you will need to provide Council with an estimate of the cost of works including cost of demolition and site preparation; excavation; fit-out (for all uses); car parking and professional fees.
  • $150,000 - $2 million, you will need to provide Council with the site area; gross floor area (for all uses); a suitably qualified person* must complete a cost summary report to include the cost of demolition and site preparation; excavation; fit-out (for all uses); car parking and professional fees.This can be submitted on the Cost Summary Report form available on Council’s website.
  • > $2 million, a registered Quantity Surveyor's detailed cost report verifying the cost must be submitted on lodgement of the development application.

        *    The following people are recognised as 'a suitably qualified person'

  • A builder who is licensed to undertake the proposed building works, or
  • A registered quantity surveyor, or
  • A registered architect, or
  • A practising qualified building estimator or
  • A person who is licensed and has the relevant qualifications and proven experience in costing of development works at least to a similar scale and type as is proposed

If your proposal is integrated development see an additional fee must be paid to the relevant (state) approval body as well as a processing fee per integrated referral. Make the cheque payable to the relevant state approval body (not Council). We will forward your cheque to the approval body along with copies of your plans and other documentation.

6. Integrated Development

Some developments need an approval from a State government agency as well as development consent from Council. These are classed as integrated development. Where possible, we will help you to identify which (if any) other approvals will be needed. However, it is your responsibility to determine which approvals are needed before you lodge your DA.

A development is integrated when it involves:

Approval body: Heritage Office

  • Damaging, moving, altering or undertaking works on an item protected by an interim heritage order or listing on the State Heritage Register.

Approval body: Roads and Maritime Services

  • Erecting a structure or carrying out a work in, on or over a classified road. 
  • Digging up or disturbing the surface of a public road.
  • Removing or interfering with a structure, work or tree on a public road.
  • Pumping water into a classified road from any land adjoining the road.
  • Connecting a road (whether public or private) to a classified road.

Approval body: NSW Office of Water

  • Carrying out work or activities which requires authorisation under schedule 1 of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.

Approval body: NSW Office of Water

  • Water use approval, water management work approval or activity approval under Part 3 of the Water Management Act 2000.
  • Making an excavation or removing material within 40 metres of a harbour, a river, lake, lagoon or watercourse, or doing anything else that obstructs the flow of water on a river, lake, or lagoon.

Approval body: National Parks Wildlife Service

  • Knowingly destroying, defacing, or damaging an Aboriginal relic or Aboriginal place.

Approval body: NSW Fisheries

  • Dredging or reclamation work.
  • Permit to cut, remove, damage or destroy marine vegetation on public water land or an aquaculture lease, or on the foreshore of any such land or lease. 
  • Permit to set a net, netting or other material or construct or alter a dam, floodgate, causeway or weir, or otherwise create an obstruction across or within a bay, inlet, river or creek.
  • Aquaculture permit