Cycle safety is important to avoid dangerous situation on the road. Cyclists can ride on any road as long as they obey the road rules. Here are some tips for staying safe:
- Wear a helmet correctly
- Fit your bike with a bell or warning device and reflectors (white for the front and red at rear)
- Use headlight and taillight for night time riding
- Wear reflective clothing so you can be easily seen by motorists and pedestrians.
There are a number of marked bicycle routes in Leichhardt for on-road cycling. These are recommended routes. A number of off-road cycle routes also exist. Visit the Cycling Routes page of our website for more information.
Sharing the Road
Motorists need to keep a sharp lookout for cyclists as they are often hard to see. Remember, cyclists have an equal right to be on the road. Here are some useful tips to make the roads safer for everyone:
- Look for cyclists before opening car door
- Give cyclists plenty of room when overtaking - at least 1 metre (it is legal for cyclists to ride two abreast),
- Take extra care at intersections when turning.
Local activities for new and experienced cyclists are organised by Council in conjunction with the Leichhardt Bicycle Users Group (LBUG). LBUG also organises regular cycle rides around Sydney. Visit the Leichhardt Bicycle Users Group website for more information.