Leichhardt Library Service - Collection Development Policy
Leichhardt Library and Balmain Branch provide an accessible and technologically progressive library and technology gateway to information, recreational and life long learning resources to meet the needs of the community.
The collections consist of a broad range of formats: monographs, paperbacks, magazines, DVDs, CDs, CDROMs, electronic media, e-resources, internet, large print, maps, photographs, plans, picture books, historical and archival resources. The collections are diverse providing resources in the following: non fiction, fiction, reference, movies, documentaries, music, toys, talking books, beginner readers, Italian language, ESL, language, graphic novels, magazines, newspapers and board books.
The collections aim to service as wide a cross section of the community as possible with as many interesting resources as we can find or you can suggest.
- Local History is a specialist collection of historical and current material that relates to all aspects of the Leichhardt local government area - the inner Sydney suburbs of Annandale, Balmain, Birchgrove, Leichhardt, Lilyfield and Rozelle. This collection is a rich source of family history and historical photographs.
- The Italian Collection reflects Italian migrant’s participation in the local community it comprising books, DVDs and CDs in Italian for loan.
- Books about Cars and Car Manuals are collected, as most new cars are under warranty, manuals are collected for car models five or more years old.
Inter Library Loans
In this Information Age it is impossible for the library to acquire every resource, however, staff will inter library loan resources from anywhere in the World. This service is fee based so please ask the librarian about the availability and cost of inter library loaning the resource you are seeking.
The National Library of Australia provides a free database, open to the public, which indicated all books held in Australian public and university libraries. Simply log on to http://librariesaustralia.nla.gov.au/
Access to the Collections is through the Library Web Catalogue
You can access the library catalogue from the Council’s website www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au from here you select Library and then from the drop down box select Library Catalogue.
Selection, Replacement and Withdrawal of Resources
All acquisitions, before being purchased or accepted as gifts, are evaluated in terms of the following criteria and in the context of economic and space considerations. A resource will not necessarily be judged against all criteria, but against those appropriate and applicable to it. These same standards determine the replacement, duplication, and withdrawal of resources.The Library will:
- Provide a collection that anticipates the needs and numbers of potential users.
- Consider public demand, both specific and general, as expressed through requests, suggestions, and use to develop the collection.
- Consider the availability of the same, or similar, materials in other libraries or agencies.
- Consider the need for all subjects covered and viewpoints expressed.
- Consider the effect that subjects and viewpoints selected have on developing a balanced collection.
- Consider the appropriateness to scope of the collection as it is developed.
Selectors will consider these characteristics when selecting:
- Literary or stylistic quality, reputations, qualifications, and significance of author, producer, or publisher
- Accuracy, currency, timeliness, and validity
- Importance and uniqueness
- Physical quality and effectiveness of format
- Appropriateness of format to subject
- Cost, as measured against competing materials on the same subject
- Suitability for intended audience