Top Navigation

Mayors and Aldermen

Elected Representatives Since 1859

Leichhardt Council acknowledges and thanks Mr Peter Reynolds, co-Author of Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City, a social history of Leichhardt and former Municipalities of Annandale, Balmain and Glebe who has given his permission for the lists of Mayors, Aldermen and Councillors to be reproduced.

Local Government in NSW has changed dramatically over the years. The Municipalities Act 1856 allowed for the establishment of a system of local Government in areas outside the city of Sydney however, not many were established by the beginning of the 1900's.

This caused the NSW Government to enact the Local Government Act 1906 to introduce a mandatory Municipal system of Local Government for the entire state. After extensive amendments over the following decade, the NSW Government realised that substantial changes were required so they repealed this and enacted the Local Government 1919 (NSW) which remained in force for over 70 years.

The last substantial changes were brought in with the repealing of the 1919 Act and introduction of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW). This new Act radically changed the way local Council's operated and provided services to the community - It even changed the name of Council's elected representatives from Aldermen to Councillors and changing the Town Clerk to a General Manager. 

Leichhardt Municipal Council Since 1949

The present day Leichhardt Municipal Council area resulted from the amalgamation of Annandale, Balmain, Glebe and Leichhardt Municipalities in 1949. Below is a full list of Mayors as well as Aldermen and Councillors elected to Leichhardt Council since 1949. This document includes new Councillors elected in September 2008.

Elected Representatives - Leichhardt Municipal Council 1949 to Present Following 2008 Elections  (PDF 23KB)

 

Leichhardt Municipal Council Prior to 1949

 

Annandale Municipal Council 1894 to 1948

Annandale Municipal Council was incorporated in 1894 and operated as a separate Council until amalgamation with Balmain, Glebe and Leichhardt Councils in 1949 to form the Leichhardt Council area we have today. Click on the link below to see the list of Mayors and Aldermen between 1894 and 1948:

Elected Representatives - Annandale Municipal Council 1894 to 1948 (PDF 19.2KB)

 

Balmain Municipal Council 1860 to 1948

Balmain Municipal Council was incorporated in 1860, only 4 years after the enactment of the Municipalities Act 1856 and operated as separate body until amalgamation with Annandale, Glebe and Leichhardt Councils in 1949 to form the Leichhardt Council area we have today. Click on the link below to see the list of Mayors and Aldermen between 1894 and 1948:

Elected Representatives - Balmain Municipal Council 1860 to 1948  (PDF 27.4KB)

 

Leichhardt Municipal Council 1872 to 1948

Leichhardt Municipal Council was incorporated in 1871 and operated as a separate Council until amalgamation with Annandale, Balmain and Glebe Councils in 1949 to form the Leichhardt Council area we have today. Click on the link below to see the list of Mayors and Aldermen between 1872 and 1948:

Elected Representatives - Leichhardt Municipal Council 1872 to 1948 (PDF 25.4KB)