The Leichhardt Council Community Bus provides a transport service for Leichhardt municipality based community groups to enjoy day trips and outings at a subsidised rate.
All weekday bookings for the community bus are allocated each October for the following calendar year. Casual bookings are only available in the event of a cancellation.
Bookings: Phone Social Planning and Community Development Section on 9367 9220.
Seating capacity: 20 passengers or 18 passengers with one (1) wheelchair.
Minimun hire: Three hours.
Boundary limits: Gosford to the north, Springwood to the west and Wollongong to the south
In addition to the hourly rate, user groups will be charged an additional fee to cover a 15 minute bus safety check, transit to the customer's requested collection point from Balmain Depot and fuel costs. This fee will be based on a sliding scale of mileage travelled.
Prices are GST inclusive.
9am - 4pm Mon - Fri $13.00/hr or part thereof rounded up to the nearest hour
Evenings and Weekends:
After 4 pm Mon - Fri $35.00/hr or part thereof rounded up to the nearest hour
$35.00/hr or part thereof rounded up to the nearest hour Sunday rates apply after 3 hrs on Saturday)
$57.50/hr or part thereof rounded up to the nearest hour
50 kms or less $18.00
51 kms - 100 kms $37.00
101 kms - 150 kms $50.50
151 kms -200 kms $73.00
201 kms - 250 kms $87.00
251 kms - 300 kms $103.00
301 kms - 350 kms $122.00
351 kms or more $139.00
Cancellation Fee: All bookings cancelled without minimum 5 working days notice $52 Flat Fee.
Applicants are assessed and prioritised against the following criteria:
- The group is non-profit and non-government (with the exception of Leichhardt Council operations).
- The group is based in the municipality and/or its members predominantly live in the municipality.
- The group is transport disadvantaged ie; cannot meet the costs of a commercial rate.
- The group meets the needs of aged, disabled, children, young people or disadvantaged residents.
1. That passengers behave in an orderly manner and that the supervision of passengers is the responsibility of the organisation using the bus.
NB. The driver is not responsible for the care of aged people or the supervision of children or young people.
2. Due to the lack of appropriate safety restraints, children under the age of 18 months shall not be transported in the bus. All other children and adults must wear one seatbelt per person.
3. That the standards set out below for passenger numbers (from the Department of Transport and the Department of Community Services) be adhered to and that decisions by the driver in these matters be complied with.
- The maximum number of passengers is twenty
- The maximum number of children and the ratio of adults to children is as follows:
* 18 months - 2 ½ years - maximum 12; 1 adult to 2 children (minimum)
* 2 ½ years - 5 years - maximum 15; 1 adult to 4 children (minimum)
* 12 years - maximum 17; 1 adult to 10 children (minimum) and not less than 2 adults
4. That all efforts be made by the group to fully utilise the 20 seats in the bus.
5. That travel arrangements be made with the driver to ensure groups are returned to their place of pick up by the agreed time.
6. That the group be ready for outward and return journeys at times agreed to with the driver.
7. That no smoking or eating or consumption of alcohol occur on the bus.
8. That the bus be kept tidy and not damaged or defaced in any way.
9. That all passengers shall wear the seat belts provided in the bus.
10. That the group have appropriate plans should there be wet weather on the allocated day.
11. That maximum notice of cancellations be given to the Social Planning & Community Development section. A cancellation fee applies if less than 5 working days notice is given.
12. Week-end bookings are possible, by arrangement.
13. That accounts be paid within 30 days of invoice being issued.
14. That a Leichhardt Council employee with the appropriate licence drive the bus for all bus outings.
15. That all bookings are subject to the bus driver’s availability on the day.
To book the community bus please phone Leichhardt Council's Social Planning and Community Development Section on 9367 9220.